The Cost-of-Living Refund fights inequality and the rising cost of living
Check out all the latest research and news at CostofLivingRefund.org
The Cost-of-Living Refund will:
- Help working people face the rising cost of living and housing, with a leg up out of poverty or a cushion of financial stability.
- Fight rising inequality that threatens our democracy.
- Make taxes fairer, so the wealthiest pay their fair share.
- Build on a high minimum wage, so workers earn enough to live.
CostofLivingRefund.org contains detailed research, polling, state-specific information, and the latest updates.
Policy background about the Cost-of-Living Refund (also called a Working Families Tax Credit) and how to talk about it:
HOW IT WORKS IN A STATE
- State Overview
- State Policy Details
- Model legislative language
- Sample State Website Language
- Sample Op-Ed Language
HOW IT WORKS AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL
MESSAGING RESOURCES AND POLLING
- Messaging the Cost-of-Living Refund (includes summary of polling data)
- State by state polling data
- Research summary from David Binder Research
- Poll of likely 2020 Democratic primary voters
- Poll on tax cuts for wealthy vs tax credits for working people, Aug. 2018
- CA poll — tax loopholes and EITC June 2019. Economic Security Project conducted a California poll June 5-7, 2019 as part of our extensive research into public attitudes around taxes, where we continue to explore asking the wealthy and corporations to pay their fair share and putting money in working people’s pockets through a modernized Earned Income Tax Credit.
- CA June 2019 EITC poll full toplines, crosstabs, and memo
- “The Impact of Cash Transfers — a review of the evidence.” Compiled by Economic Security Project. May 2019.
- “Key Facts.” Compiled by Economic Security Project. May 2019.
- “Supporting family caregivers through the EITC,” Caring Across Generations, 2019.
PAYING THE CREDIT MONTHLY
- Monthly payments: why they matter
- “Restructuring the EITC,” Center for Economic Progress report on Chicago periodic payments pilot
- Monthly payment policy recommendations:
SIMPLIFYING THE CREDIT TO IMPROVE ACCESS
- Simplifying the EITC through automatic filing: why it matters
- Simplified/automatic filing policy recommendations:
COMPLEMENTING THE MINIMUM WAGE
- Raising the minimum wage and the EITC together
- “State earned income tax credits and minimum wages work best together,” Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, Mar. 2019.