How We Collect Information About You.
We may collect information about you when you use the Website. For example, we may collect information when you submit your email address, sign up for updates or information, make a donation, sign a petition, post comments, or communicate with us. You may generally browse the Website without providing any Personal Information.
What Kinds of Information We Collect About You.
We may collect two types of information from you:
- “Personal Information” you choose to provide to us. This is information that would allow someone to identify or contact you, including, for example, your name, organization, address, phone number and email address. The personal information we collect might include your name, address, organization name, phone number, fax number, email address, social media online identifiers and IP address. If you make a donation or register for an event, you may be directed to a third-party website to process that transaction. They may collect additional information necessary to complete that transaction or application.
- “Non-identifiable Information” is information that does not reveal your specific identity, including browser and device information, access and usage data, Internet Protocol address, and Website usage information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies – see further in “Cookies and Similar Tools” section below. Non-identifiable Information also includes information that has been anonymized or aggregated in a manner that no longer reveals your specific identity.
How We Use Your Information.
- ESP uses Personal Information collected about you to provide you with information, resources and services; enable you to participate in features on the Website; customize our content or communications to you based on your previous interactions with ESP, including donations; provide user support; communicate with you and respond to your inquiries; receive and track donations; register and manage participation in events and services; improve the content and features of the Website; and advance ESP’s mission.
- ESP uses Non-identifiable Information for internal purposes, for example, to manage and improve the Website, analyze usage patterns, customize and improve the user experience, and diagnose technical problem.
- We may combine Personal Information or Non-Identifiable Information we collect with information we obtain about you from third parties, and use such combined information in accordance with this Policy.
- In the event you make a donation or engage in other financial transactions, you grant us permission to access your credit card information or other financial information to complete your donation or financial transaction. ESP will not share, rent, or sell this financial-related information to any third parties without your consent, except that your credit card and other Personal Information will be shared with our credit card processor or other financial intermediary and then only to process the transaction.
When We Disclose Your Information.
- We do not provide Personal Information we receive from you to unaffiliated third parties, except to service partners, information services providers and contractors that assist in furtherance of our mission and administer activities on our behalf, for example, to maintain our website, blogs and computer systems, collect and process donations, or provide marketing services. ESP does not sell or rent Personal Information to unaffiliated mass marketers without your express permission.
- Whenever you sign a petition on the Website, we may share your Personal Information with governmental bodies, public officials or outside organizations or companies related to the petition.
- If law enforcement or judicial authorities require us to provide them with your Personal Information, we must cooperate with the authorities if their request is supported with the necessary legal documentation.
- If we or some or all of our assets are acquired by another organization, such as through a merger, acquisition, or bankruptcy, that organization will possess the information collected by us, and it will assume the rights and obligations regarding our information as described in this Policy.
- We may share Non-identifiable Information, including information that has been de-identified or aggregated and other technical information, without limitation.
- We reserve the right to disclose your Personal Information to protect the rights, property, safety or security of ESP, our users, or the public.
Legal Basis for Processing.
Our legal basis for processing your Personal Information for the purposes described above will typically be consent, as you have consented to us using your Personal Information for the purposes discussed here. We may also process your Personal Information to enter into or perform a contract with you, or to comply with a legal obligation to which ESP is subject. It is also in our legitimate interest to use your Personal Information to operate and improve our services, measure our impact, and to protect our organization.
ESP treats security seriously and takes reasonable measures to protect each Website user’s Personal Information. ESP is not, however, responsible for any information you share with other users of the Website or other third parties. While we strive to use industry-standard practices to protect your information, ESP cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. If you believe there has been any breach of the security of the Website, please contact us.
Your Control of Personal Information.
- You may limit the collection and use of different elements of your Personal Information by not participating in those activities for which we collect Personal Information, as listed above. You may unsubscribe from communications you receive from us, or select the type of information you would like to receive, by following directions included in such communications, or by contacting us.
- You may discontinue the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information by limiting or discontinuing your use of the Website altogether.
- You may request a copy of the Personal Information we hold about you by contacting us at the address below. You may ask us to correct any personal information or delete all information we hold about you by contacting us at the address below. We may be entitled, however, to decline the request or retain information under certain circumstances, under applicable laws.
- You may opt-out of our sharing of your Personal Information with other unaffiliated third party organizations by contacting us at the email address below and describing your request.
Submitting Information to Public Areas of Website.
Please be aware that if you decide to disclose Personal Information on an area of the Website accessible to other users, this information may become public. ESP does not control the acts of users of the Website, so please be cautious when deciding to reveal Personal Information. Please contact us if you believe a user of the Website is improperly collecting or using information about you or other users.
Cookies and Similar Tools.
As we adopt additional technologies, we may also gather additional information through other methods.
Our Policy on “Do Not Track” Signals.
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. Because there is no current industry or legal standard for recognizing or honoring DNT signals, we do not respond to DNT signals at this time.
Privacy Protection for Children.
If you are under the age of 16, please do not use the Website. ESP will not knowingly permit persons under the age of 16 to provide information, make a donation, or sign up for updates or receive information, through the Website or otherwise. If ESP later learns that a user is under the age of 16, ESP will take appropriate steps to remove that user’s Personal Information from the database and restrict that user’s access to the Website.
How Long We Hold Data For.
We keep your Personal Information for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. These periods vary depending on the nature of the information and your interactions with us.
Links to Other Websites.
Notification of Changes.
The Website is controlled, operated, and administered entirely within the United States. If you visit, access, interact with, and/or otherwise use the Website from a location outside the United States, please be advised that any information you provide in connection with any such activity may be processed in and/or transferred to the United States of America and/or other territories and locations, where privacy protections may not be as comprehensive as those in the territory or location where you interact with or otherwise use the Website. By using the Website, you affirmatively consent to the transfer, use, disclosure, provision, and other administration of your information as described in this Policy.
You may contact ESP about this Policy by email: via privacy at economicsecurityproject.org